Executive Director

Information from the Society of the 1st Infantry Division

Executive Director

Postby Digger » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:58 pm

They're asking for resumes to apply for Executive Director. Where is Buddy Wallace going ?

Hold the phone, i.e., From the Bridgehead Sentinel which I just received, he “stepped down” as Exec Dir and the president LTG Bob Durban resigned for “personal reasons”, LTG Rhame declined that position and LTG Watts temporarily assumed the Prez position until the Atlanta reunion. Coincidental and curious that two positions were vacated virtually simultaneously.
Don Dignan
D/2/16, 1st Inf Div
1967-68
Digger

Re: Executive Director

Postby obenow » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Lets just say it was agreed he step down.

The Society is not growing and more of the Regiments are doing more for them selves as well as companies. Unfortunately Buddy was caught in the middle.

It cost lots of money for the Society to function. Most of us support our Regiments mainly with our cash. It has become a big business instead of our Unit or Division!
"President Lincoln stated, 'We need not worry about being invaded by others, if we are destroyed, it will be from within.

Site Moderator
Obe, Nam 68-69 B2/16th
Life Time Member
VFW, DAV, 16TH INFANTRY DMOR,1ST INFANTRY
obenow

Postby Digger » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks Obe.
I support all three (Division, Regiment, Company) but I've been at the Company level for 25 years....way before the 1st and 16th.
Never met the others but I've met Wallace and he seems like a great guy.
Coincidental stepdown by two ? I think not but stuff happens.
Don Dignan
D/2/16, 1st Inf Div
1967-68
Digger

Postby Long Thrust VI » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:25 pm

Having been a Society Member since 1968, it's my observation the Society didn't really thrive until Colonel Ed Burke became Executive Director. Ed was the kind of dynamic leader an organization such as this needs! He listened to Members & responded with action. He did the same with 28th Infantry Association. It appears the Society is declining since Ed Burke's death.
1st Battle Group & 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry 1961-1964
Life Member, Society of the First Infantry Division
Life Member, 28th Infantry Association
Member, Berlin US Military Veterans Association (BUSMVA)
Member, AL Post 100
DMOR 28th Infantry
Long Thrust VI

Postby Detonate95 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:13 pm

Regardless of who the director is, the society is facing what many organizations are dealing with. The truth is, that us older vets are dying off and not being replaced. It seems that members of the younger generation are not joiners. All of the veteran organizations are being affected by declining membership. Maybe as some of these young veterans get older they will realize the important work that the veteran organizations do and get involved. I was in my 40's before I became involved with the American Legion and the VFW. I was in my 60's before I became a member of the society, which I would have never known about if I had not run across this forum.
B Battery, 1st Battalion, 7th Field Artillery
FO, B Company, 2nd Battalion, 18th Infantry
1966-1967
Life Member, Society of the First Infantry Division
Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars
Life Member, The American Legion
Detonate95

Postby obenow » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:54 am

I have express on many occasions that our VFW moved us Vietnam Vet's to the back of the class. I therefore all though a life time member since 1969, have stopped all support of the VFW. I am also a lifetime DAV since 1969, but due to my physical limitations the last 8-10 years I have elected to support them financially.

I am also life time of the Society and the Regiment 16th Inf. I support those with donations as well, I have been an officer of the regiment enjoyed it and got a whole new insight to the regiment. I resigned at a time the regiment was moving on and doing many things and I could just not keep their pace or their mission.

It is up to us....................................................................Recruit, recruit. recruit
"President Lincoln stated, 'We need not worry about being invaded by others, if we are destroyed, it will be from within.

Site Moderator
Obe, Nam 68-69 B2/16th
Life Time Member
VFW, DAV, 16TH INFANTRY DMOR,1ST INFANTRY
obenow

Return to Messages from the Society